Mehrdad Yousefpoori-Naeim (PhD)
Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Letters & Human Sciences
Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Letters and Human Sciences, Shahid Beheshti Uninversity, Evin, Tehran, Iran
- 2021 - present / MEd in Measurement, Evaluation, & Data Science (the University of Alberta, Canada)
- 2011 - 2016 / PhD in TEFL (Shahid Beheshti University)
- 2015 / Sabbatical with Prof. Lawrence J. Zhang (The University of Auckland, New Zealand)
- 2008 - 2011 / MA in TEFL (Shahid Beheshti University)
- 2003 - 2007 / BA in English Language and Literature (Shahid Beheshti University)
Academic Teaching Experience
- 2017 - 2018 / Teacher Trainer at LCSBU (Language Center of Shahid Beheshti University)
- 2015 - 2020 / SPSS & Research Methodology Instructor at Chante Educational Group
- 2012 - 2014 / Teacher Trainer at Kakhe Simin Language Institute
- 2011 - 2015 / Lecturer at Shahid Beheshti University
Professional and Other Academic Experience
- 2022 / Teaching Assistant to Dr. Ken Cor for EDHS 503 (Introduction to Methods of Educational Research in Health Sciences Education) (graduate)
- 2022 / Research Analyst Intern, Research Branch, Alberta Education
- 2021 - present / Alternate Graduate Student Representative on FGSR Council at the University of Alberta
- 2021 / Teaching Assistant to Prof. Timothy Coates for EDPY 303 (Educational Assessment) (undergraduate)
- 2020 - present / Mendeley Advisor (recognized by Elsevier)
- 2019 - present / International Baccalaureate (IB) Examiner
- 2017 - 2018 / Member of Board of Directors at Shahid Beheshti University (Pardis Campus)
- 2017 - 2018 / Advisor to Shahid Beheshti University Chancellor (Pardis Campus) in LCSBU (Language Center of Shahid Beheshti University) Affairs
- 2017 - present / Founder & Manager of Dr. Mehrdad Language Clinic
- 2009 - 2013 / Contributor to The Grammar Exchange (associated with Longman Pearson)
- 2008 - 2010 / Educational Manager at Kakh Simin Language School
- 2004 - 2009 / Translator at FIMA Educational and Research Center
Editing and Reviewing Services
- 2022 - present / Reviewer of The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (Athabasca University)
- 2022 - present / Editorial Board Member of Journal of Modern Educational Research
- 2022 / Sub-Reviewer of 35th Canadian Artificial Intelligence Conference
- 2021 - present / Reviewer of Eureka Journal (a student science journal at the University of Alberta)
- 2021 - present / Reviewer of Language Teaching Research (SAGE Journals)
- 2020 - present / Reviewer of System (Elsevier)
- 2017 - present / Reviewer of Cogent Arts & Humanities (Taylor & Francis)
- 2015 - present / Reviewer of TESOL Quarterly
- 2010 - 2016 / Editor-in-Chief of Threshold
- 2020 / Python for Data Science and AI (5 weeks - online) by IBM
- 2020 / Neurolinguistics (7 weeks -В online) by Saint Petersburg State University
- 2020 / R Programming (4 weeks - online) by Johns Hopkins University
- 2020 / The Bilingual Brain (8 weeks - online) by University of Houston
- 2018 / Statistical Analysis with R (8 hours) by Department of Statistics at Shahid Beheshti University
- 2010 / SPSS (30 hours) (100 out of 100) by Jahade Daneshgahi at Shahid Beheshti University
- 2006 / Persian Editing (290 hours) (90.5 out of 100) by Iran Technical and Vocational Training Organization
Distinctions and Honors
- Entrance Scholarship, Awarded by the University of Alberta, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (2021)
- PhD Sabbatical Full Grant Awarded by Iran's Ministry of Science and Research (2015)
- Iran's Distinguished Student Award (a national award granted yearly by the Ministry of Science and Research of Iran) (2015)
- Distinguished MA Graduate of the Faculty of Human Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran (2011)
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M., Shahhosseini, K., & Vaezi, K. (2017). 504 words tests. Tehran: Jungle Publications.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2014). Comparing teachers' views on grammar with those of their students. SaarbrГјcken: Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Yousefpoori Naeim, M. & Jazayeri, M. (2012). 43 word stories. Tehran: Rahnama Press.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. & Hemmatyar, N. (2017). Village wooing [Khastegari dar dehkadeh]. Tehran: Hermes.
Copy-Edited Books (in English)
- Fatemi Jahromi, S. A. & Babapour, S. (2014). A translation of selected tales from the Shahnameh in prose and verse. San Diego: Montezuma Publishing.
- Noorani, A. (2013). Tehran magician: A bilingual play. Tehran: Bamdade No.
- Anani Sarab, M. R., Azimi, H., Yousefpoori-Naeim, M., Javidanmehr, Z., & Derakhshesh, A. (Eds.) (2012). The 10th international TELLSI conference: Bridging the gap between research, policy and practice: Book of abstracts. Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University.
- Anani Sarab, M. R., Yousefpoori-Naeim, M., Saharkhiz, A., Gordany, Y., Nasrollahi, N., & Abolghasem, M. (Eds.) (2012). TELLSI 10 conference proceedings. Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University.
Papers and Chapters
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. & Baleghizadeh, S. (2018). Towards finding a difficulty index for English grammatical terminology. Terminology, 24(2), 236-261.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M., Zhang, L. J., & Baleghizadeh, S. (2018). Resolving the terminological mishmash in teaching link words in EFL writing. Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics, 41(3), 321-337.
- Baleghizadeh, S., Goldouz, E., & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2016). What grammar activities do ELT workbooks focus on? In Brian Tomlinson (Ed.), SLA research and materials development for language learning (pp. 153-165). New York: Routledge.
- Wilson, A. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2016). Developing English literacy teaching in New Zealand secondary schools. Roshd FLT, 30(2), 47-54.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2014). Performance-based assessment: What we should know about it. Roshd FLT, 29 (2), 39-47.
- Davoodi, S. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2014). The use of grammatical terminology in foreign language classrooms: A qualitative study of teacher cognition and practice. Threshold, 7(2), 95-115.
- Baleghizadeh, S. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2013). Surveying metalanguage through three EFL textbooks. E-International Journal of Educational Research, 4, 27-40.
- Anani Sarab, M. R. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2013). Comparing teachers' views on the role of grammar and error correction in language teaching with those of their students. In Baleghizadeh, S. & Zahedi, K. (Eds.), The handbook of current research on teaching language skills (pp. 223-241). Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University
- Baleghizadeh, S. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2011). Enhancing vocabulary retention through semantic mapping: A single-subject study. International Journal of Language Society and Culture, 32, 11-16.
- Baleghizadeh, S. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2011). Promoting vocabulary retention through etymology presentation. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education, 7(1), 111-123.
- Baleghizadeh, S. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2010). Learning vocabulary through etymology: A practical lesson. MATSDA Folio, 14, 2.
- Nojoumian, A. A. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2009). Teaching literature for the sake of grammar. ILI Language Teaching Journal, 5, 55-66.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2009). Present simple, present continuous, past simple, and present perfect: A review for language teachers. Threshold, 2&3, 97-106.
Presentations, Seminars, and Workshops
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. & Zhang, L. J. (2015, December). Teaching clauses in ESL/EFL writing: A terminological approach.Paper presented at Sharif English Language Teaching (SELT) Conference, Tehran, Iran.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2015, June). A search for a difficulty index for English grammatical terminology. Seminar presented in the Faculty of Education, the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. & Shahhosseini, K. (2015, February). An introduction to a language learning app: 504 Words Quiz. Seminar presented in the Faculty of Human Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
- Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2013, May). The importance of punctuation in the translation of academic texts from Persian to English. Workshop presented at Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
- Davoodi, I. & Yousefpoori-Naeim, M. (2012, October). Working memory and verbal fluency in monolinguals and bilinguals. Paper presented at the 10th International TELLSI Conference, Tehran, Iran.